The Big Bang Theory: The characters and their professions
Abibuzz – Funstuff
Career facts about Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj
What do Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj do all day at school? What career paths have the four “TBBT” characters pursued? Who is their boss?
The engineer: Howard Wolowitz
* The profession:Aerospace engineers develop flying objects such as airplanes, spacecraft or satellites.
* Howard’s job:Howard works as an engineer in the aerospace division of CALTECH University in California.
* Career:He studied “Engineering” at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), which is considered one of the world’s leading universities in technological research. He completed his studies with a master’s degree and later designed a satellite orbiting a moon of Jupiter. Another project was the construction of a toilet especially for a space station.
* If you pay close attention, you know:that Howard speaks six languages, including Farsi Arabic, Mandarin Chinese and Klingon; that his mother is never seen; the name Howard Wolowitz comes from a former business partner of producer Bill Prady.
* His bosses:Sheldon, his mother, peanuts.
The theoretical physicist: Dr. Dr. Sheldon Lee Cooper
* The profession:The theoretical physicist tries to translate things, regularities from inanimate nature as regularities into mathematical structures. Thereby theoretical physicists create mathematical models of experimental results.
* Sheldon’s job:Sheldon works as a theoretical physicist at CALTECH University in California. His field of research is string theory.
* Career: Sheldon attended college at age 11. At the age of 15, Sheldon was a visiting lecturer in Heidelberg. He received his first doctorate at the age of 16. In total he has two doctorates and a master’s degree (Master of Science).
* If you pay close attention, you’ll know:he has an IQ of 187; his father died fighting a feline predator; Sheldon is partly responsible for the broken elevator because he quickly got Leonard’s failed experiment into the elevator before the explosion.
* His bosses: sarcasm, lies, failure to keep a schedule, Wil Wheaton, forks with only three prongs (forks are for eating, trident to rule the seven seas), driving a car and much more…
The astrophysicist: Dr. Rajesh “Raj” Ramayan Koothrappali
* The profession:Astrophysicists explore various celestial phenomena, both through detailed observations and through computer models of galaxies, planetary systems or individual stars. If you want to become an astrophysicist, you must first complete a physics degree and then specialize further.
* Raj’s job:Raj works as an astrophysicist at CALTECH University.
* Career:The most prominent point in Raj’s career is probably the discovery of a planetary object beyond the Kuiper Belt, which he called Planet Bollywood. This discovery earned him a place in People Magazine.
* If you pay close attention, you know:his father is a gynecologist in Delhi; he cannot talk to women except with the help of alcohol or psychotropic drugs. But the mere thought that he has drunk alcohol is enough.
* His adversary: himself (his condition of not being able to talk to certain people is called “selective mutism”).
The experimental physicist: Dr. Leonard Leakey Hofstadter
* The profession:Experimental physicists determine statements about physical processes by means of scientific experiments.
* Leonard’s job:Leonard works as an experimental physicist at CALTECH University, mainly with lasers.
* Career:Little is known about Leonard’s career. He received his doctorate at Princeton University at the age of 24 for a thesis on experimental particle physics.
* If you pay close attention, you know: he has an IQ of 173; he always uses Superman’s Kryptonian name “Kal-El” as his password; he built a hugging machine as a child.
* His boss: Lactose.